CAMP NURSE JOB DESCRIPTION TITLE: La Cima Camp Medic
Camp medics are responsible for the care of ill or injured campers and staff and related administrative duties. This is not a paid position; all senior camp staff receives up to a $400 stipend for the week of service and travel reimbursements.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Be present on site during camp to attend to any medical situations that may arise.
- Ensure appropriate medical supplies are available on site and securely managed.
- Receives medicines from students upon bus arrival, and returns them to students upon camp departure.
- Controls and dispenses all medicines during camp; Administer camper (and staff) prescription medications as directed. Dispense over-the-counter medications as appropriate
- Assess campers and staff who are ill or injured and determine if further medical attention is needed.
- Assist in stabilizing campers and staff requiring transportation to medical facilities.
- Contact parents of ill or injured campers and staff (if appropriate) and update them as necessary
- Documentation of all injuries and care rendered. This involves documentation of all over-the-counter medicines, first aid treatment, communication with parents, doctors or any other off-camp facilities.
- Keep infirmary clean and organized
- Counseling as needed- (such as homesick campers)
- Responsible to La Cima Tri-Directors
- First Aid/CPR training – wilderness medical training and/or nursing qualification preferred.
- Strong communication skills
- Maturity and sound judgment
- Ability to work within a bilingual context
PRACTICAL AND PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS
- Able to work and live in a rustic camp environment at Cispus Learning Center with varying weather conditions
- Able to respond physically and emotionally to first-aid and emergency situations including patient evacuation
- Possess the strength, endurance and patience to maintain oversight of campers in a 24 hour residence camp
- Possess the visual and auditory skills to identify and respond to environmental and other hazards related to camp activities.
La Cima Staff Dates: Thursday, June 26 through Wednesday, July 2, 2014
Vincent Perez, 360.497.5323 or email