2017/2018 School Year
- Thursday, November 2: Elma HS
- Thursday, November 2: Renton HS
- Thursday, November 2: Spokane
- Friday, November 3: Mt. Tahoma High School (DO) 9:30am start time
- Tuesday, November 7: Mark Morris High School
- Tuesday, November 7: Fife High School
- Tuesday, November 14: Eastmont HS
- Thursday, November 16: Cavelero Mid High
- Thursday, November 16: Centralia HS
- Thursday, November 16: Selah HS
- Friday, November 17: Kent-Meridian HS (DO)
- Friday, November 17: Lynnwood HS
(DO) = District Only.
Workshops begin at 9:00am and conclude at 1:30pm
Middle School Outreach
¡La Chispa! Regional Bilingual Workshops are one-day events designed to teach leadership skills to middle level Latino students. ¡La Chispa! uses both English and Spanish to help students build self-confidence, strengthen their cultural identity and increase academic success. High schools throughout the state have hosted these middle level workshops in the past and have created leadership growth for high school students willing to help prepare for the event and serve as high school role models. Each high school that hosts a ¡La Chispa! Regional Workshop helps serve between 100-250 middle level Latino students and creates a leadership opportunity for 15-20 of their Latino high school student leaders.
Questions? Contact Vincent Perez, 360.497.5323 or fill out the form below.
¡LA CHISPA! IS A PROGRAM OF THE
ONE-DAY REGIONAL BILINGUAL WORKSHOPS
¡La Chispa! ayuda a que estudiantes tengan confianza en sí mismos, fortalezcan su identidad cultural y aumenten su éxito académico. Tres factores que determinan el éxito del estudiante, los cuales son: adultos que son modelos positivos, la participación en la escuela y el servicio comunitario. ¡La Chispa! ofrece avance en estas tres áreas.
¡La Chispa! (The Spark) helps students build their self-confidence, strengthen their cultural identity and increase their academic success. Student success is largely dependent on three factors: positive adult role models, involvement in school and community service. ¡La Chispa! offers students advancement in all three areas.
Hosting ¡La Chispa! at your school!
HIGH SCHOOL MENTORS
Let us know your t-shirt size!
Mentor Training VIDEOs
Serve as a ¡La Chispa! Mentor
- Review Mentor Responsibilities (Click Here)
- Review Student Handouts (Click Here)
- Serve as a role model for the one-day workshop
- Facilitate a group of 9-14 middle school students
- Participate with enthusiasm
- Share your dreams and success with younger students
- Please arrive at 7:30 a.m. to help the facilitators set up. You will receive a T-shirt and a notebook with handouts, lesson plans and schedule.
- The day ends at 2:00 p.m.
Host Site Requirements
- 15-20 High School Mentors
- Gym space with bleachers
- Sound system with two microphones and i-Pod capability
- 2-3 long tables for registration process
- Separate adviser meeting room for 15-20 people from 11:00 a.m. - 12:00 noon
- 3-4 lined garbage cans for trash after lunch
- Large orange sign 12 feet long x 6 feet high (two lengths of 12 feet butcher paper taped together) that reads:
Dream * Learn * Serve
Soñar * Aprender * Servir
- Select high school mentors.
- Confirm gym reservation, sound system with 2 microphones and ipod jack, 2-3 tables and 3-4 garbage cans (with permission to eat in the gym or adjacent area).
- Guide high school mentors on middle school outreach and press release outreach. Encourage students to document their volunteer hours and coach them on how to reach out to principals and the press.
High School Mentors:
- Create a space (notebook, cellphone note, etc.) to record your tasks and time spent on the ¡La Chispa! workshop for volunteer hours.
- Middle School Outreach: This can be in the form of a letter, email or personal visit. Be sure to use the ¡La Chispa! Registration Form during your outreach. Make appointments with principals of your feeder schools if you are going to visit. In a group of 3-4 visit the principal and make your "pitch!"
- ¡La Chispa! Press Release: A press release is a written communication directed at members of the news media. They can be mailed, faxed or e-mailed to assignment editors at newspapers, magazines, radio stations or television stations. We have created a press release template for each host-site. Reach out directly to each news source and be sure to prepare statements about your story and how ¡La Chispa! impacts you and your school.
One Week Out
- Create ¡La Chispa! backdrop
- Watch facilitation videos and practice the activities.
- Prepare volunteer paperwork to be signed by ¡La Chispa! Facilitator or your adviser.
- Make plans to arrive at 7:30am on the day of your ¡La Chispa! Workshop.
2016-2017 School Year
- Eastmont High School, Thursday, 10/27/2016
- Washington High School, Tuesday, 11/1/2016
- Auburn-Riverside School, Tuesday, 11/1/2016
- Cavelero Mid High, Thursday, 11/3/2016
- Moses Lake High School, Friday, 11/4/2016
- Mt. View High School, Tuesday, 11/8/2016
- Columbia Basin College, Tuesday, 11/8/2016
- Centralia High School, Thursday, 11/10/2016
- Spokane HUB, Tuesday, 11/15/2016
- Mark Morris HS, Thursday, 11/17/2016
- Lynnwood High School, Friday, 11/18/2016
- Selah High School, Thursday, 12/8/2016
- Fife High School, Friday, 1/5/2017
- Kent-Meridian High School, Friday, 1/19/2017
2015-2016 School Year
- October 20, 2015 Everett CC
- October 22, 2015 Columbia Basin College
- October 29, 2015 Thomas Jefferson HS
- November 3, 2015 Clark College
- November 10, 2015 Kent-Meridian HS
- November 17, 2015 Cascadia College
- November 19, 2015 Washington HS
- November 19, 2015 University of Washington
- November 20, 2015 Big Bend CC
- November 20, 2015 Kelso HS
- November 20, 2015 Lynnwood HS
- November 20, 2015 Spokane CC
- December 1, 2015 Fife HS
- December 8, 2015 Wenatchee Valley College
2014-2015 School Year
- October 23, 2014: Centralia HS
- November 13, 2014: Lynnwood HS
- November 18, 2014: Cavelero Mid High
- November 18, 2014: CBC: Toppenish HS
- January 7, 2015: Kent-Meridian HS
- January 15, 2015: RA Long HS
- February 4, 2015: Sumner HS
- February 5, 2015: Shoreline Conference Center
- February 11, 2015: Icicle River MS
- February 12, 2015: UPS
- February 19, 2015: Mountain View HS
- April 3, 2015: Brewster HS
- Seattle World School Nov 13
- Centralia HS, Nov 13
- Toppenish HS, Nov 13
- Lynnwood HS, Nov 14
- Cavelero Mid High, Nov 19
- Kent-Meridian HS, Nov 19
- Moses Lake HS, Nov 20
- Washington HS, Nov 20
- Eastmont JH, Nov 21
- LaVenture MS, Nov 21
- RA Long HS, Jan 16
- Hudson's Bay HS, Jan 23
- Cavelero Mid High, Nov 8
- Kent-Meridian HS, Nov 28
- La Venture MS, Nov 15
- Lynnwood HS, Nov 27
- Mark Morris HS, Nov 28
- Shoreline SD, Nov 28
- Spokane Valley, Nov 14
- Sumner HS, Nov 14
- Washington HS, Nov 27
- Centralia HS, Jan 22
- Eastmont JH, Jan 15
- Hudson's Bay HS, Jan 24
- Kennewick HS, Jan 24
- Toppenish HS, Jan 16